[dundee] Googlemail

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 13:21:43 UTC 2009

Like most of the networks in our country, the more users you get on it, the more
congested it can get. Like the rail, and road, there is no  inward investment, profits
goto share holders, not into network upgrades to support growth.

for more reason why I hate atm then goto..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchronous_Transfer_Mode#Cells_in_practice

quote..

-----------------
Following the initial design of ATM, networks have become much faster.
A 1500 byte (12000-bit) full-size Ethernet packet takes only 1.2 µs to
transmit on a 10 Gbit/s optical network, reducing the need for small
cells to reduce jitter due to contention. Some consider that this makes
a case for replacing ATM with Ethernet in the network backbone.
However, it should be noted that the increased link speeds by
themselves do not alleviate jitter due to queuing. Additionally, the
hardware for implementing the service adaptation for IP packets is
expensive at very high speeds. Specifically, at speeds of OC-3 and above, the cost of segmentation and reassembly (SAR) hardware makes ATM less competitive for IP than Packet Over SONET (POS). SAR performance limits mean that the fastest IP router ATM interfaces are OC12 - OC48 (STM4 - STM16), while as of 2004[update] POS can operate at OC-192 (STM64) with higher speeds expected in the future.'

so, get some 10G POS, sprinkle in some MPLS for traffic engineering and to avoid queuing..

well come to broadband city.

It's a dream, but not on this island, and not in my life time ....

Cheers,
Lee