[dundee] Tablet PC's

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 05:36:21 UTC 2009

Anyone using Linux successfully on a (full-size ~ A4) tablet PC, and if so,
what distro and what device?

Rather unsuccessfully.
have yet to get round to resolving the issue, but using wubi, the fixes i
found on the net didnt work for me n my x60.
pen as unresponsive on screen as if it were a normal (non-tablet) screen.

2009/3/18 Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk>

> Many, many thanks.
>
> On Wednesday 18 March 2009 15:48:58 Robert McWilliam wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:41:01AM +0000, Robert Ladyman wrote:
> > > Anyone using Linux successfully on a (full-size ~ A4) tablet PC, and if
> > > so, what distro and what device?
> >
> > I'm using a thinkpad X61T with Ubuntu now. I've previously used an HP
> > and a Fujitsu tablet with Ubuntu. With 8.10 I had to set up the tablet
> > in the xorg.conf manually but it works fine now that I have. Previous
> > versions worked out of the box (except the non-pen touch in the X61)
> > but the change to having a minimal xorg.conf and everything being
> > autodetected lost the support for serial tablets (until recently
> > pretty much all tablet PCs were using serial internally - I don't know
> > if it's changed now) USB ones still work out of the box I think.
> >
> > I haven't gotten screen rotation to work yet but I have heard that
> > other people have. The X61 has a 4:3 screen so things don't change
> > much rotating it so I've never bothered to look into getting it to
> > work properly.
> >
> > There are some issues if you're planning on getting one without a
> > keyboard (or using one with a keyboard in tablet mode). I haven't
> > found any handwriting recognition software for linux that's
> > particularly good so you're left with onscreen keyboard (onboard is
> > fucntional and can be resized but isn't particularly attractive) or
> > using one of the primitive ones. Possibly a bigger problem is password
> > entry: getting an onscreen keyboard for screensaver unlock and GDM has
> > so far been beyond me. I haven't tried all that hard as I've got a
> > fingerprint reader on this tablet. I have seen docs for getting onboard
> > to run when GDM comes up but I haven't seen anything for the
> > screensaver unlock prompt. It might be somewhere on the internet
> > though...
> >
> > If you have a specific model that you're thinking of getting then
> > google can usually come up someone else who's already tried it unless
> > it's very new.
> >
> >      Robert

> > Robert McWilliam            rmcw at allmail.net             www.ormiret.com
> >
> > The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its
> > continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the
> > computer hardware industry.
> >       --  Henry Petroski

> > Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk
>
> --
>
> Robert Ladyman
> File-Away Limited, 32 Church Street, Newtyle
> Perthshire, PH12 8TZ SCOTLAND
> Registered in Scotland, Company Number SC222086
> Tel: +44 (0) 1828 898 158
> Mobile: +44 (0) 7732 771 649
> http://www.file-away.co.uk

http://www.gaudiepod.org.uk gaudiepod.org.uk website gallery and forum.
 prints available to buy.  digital images available for price at your
discression.
http://tinyurl.com/gaudiepodforum