[dundee] U.K. Government to monitor social networking sites

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:46:15 UTC 2009

2009/3/26 John¹ <seago.john at googlemail.com>:
> On Thursday 26 March 2009 08:59:23 you wrote:
>> Can you patent something once its been published?
>
> I wouldn't have thought so, as it would now be in the public domain, it
> might be copy-right, but nevertheless published.

I think a bigger problem might be that you can't patent an algorithm
in the UK.  Patents pertaining to software in the UK also need to
demonstrate 'technical effect', though I personally find this term
confusing.  But you're right that any form of publication might be a
problem (hence if you're serious about patenting an idea, it's a good
idea to keep discussions under an NDA).

It's always seemed to me that patents hinge more on the presentation
and wording of the 'idea', rather than the true meaning of the
innovation; at least at patent granting stage.  The later becomes more
important when defending the patent.

Anyway, don't take my advice, as I'm not a lawyer! :-)

R.