[dundee] Hard Drive recovery

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 26 17:23:58 UTC 2009

2009/3/26 Lee Hughes <toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk>

> well dd_rhelp is cugging along quite nicely now, it's not the fastest thing
> in the world, just getting over 500kb/s second. but for recocovery I suppose
> that aint to bad.
>
> If my calculations are correct  I'll get a gigabyte every 17mins.
>
> thus, to get 200g , It's going to take 57 hours..

I use Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD that has tools for data rescue and repair, It can
read and write to NTFS systems so Windows data can easily be saved.

 http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04817

For low-level diagnostics UBCD is good for testing and analysing:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I also have a technicians low-level recovery disk that is good at rescuing
data (better start looking for it now, I wonder where I put it).

Gordon