[dundee] Bar code scanners

Marcel Hecko marcel at shmu.org.uk
Thu Oct 15 10:20:43 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,
most of the scanners have both - pure serial rs232 interface and ps2
interface emulating keyboard and are connected in between keyboard and pc
or directly into ps2 port. i am not aware of many usb scanners.

both technologies are very simple to integrate in linux - they are
transparent to the system - emulating keyboard strokes as you have
mentioned.

I am actually interested in som more tests of the bar code scanners under
linux - pleae keep us updated on your decision on what are you buying -
would be great in combination with tracmor.com

marcel

<quote who="christopher wyllie">
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me something about bar code scanners and how they work?
> From
> what I gather, some of them work as keyboards and decode the barcode on
> the
> scanner then output a string representing the number of the barcode. Is
> this
> accurate and how compatible is this with Linux? Are there alternatives?
> I'm
> looking for something to integrate with a web app so keyboard output
> sounds
> best unless there's a better alternative.
>
> Also, does anybody know where I could get my hands on one suitable for use
> with Linux for less than around £30?
>
> Many thanks, I know it's a strange question =D
>
>   Chris

please reply to
marcel at shmu.org.uk

Marcel Hecko
Connected SHMU Project Manager
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 487174

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live at www.shmufm.net

This message is not intended to have contractual effect