[dundee] Bar code scanners

paul lancaster paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 25 12:20:33 UTC 2009

Hi Chris

Before you purchase a barcode reader, find out the format your barcode belongs to, then make sure your scanner can read it.

As said by others scanners normally support either Serial (RS232c - 9 pin D ), PS2 ( you will need to have a keyboard plugged in as operation can be flacky without) and USB.

The easiest way to see if will get any problems is to connect it and open a text editor, then start scanning.
Some applications require a software wedge to handle the serial input.

The USB and PS2 based units we used at work just emulate a keyboard.
Usefully you can add prefix and suffixs to the scan i.e. the scanner can a "Enter" key to the end of each scan.
We use Symbol (by Motorola) scanners at work and find the scanner very robust. They also use a common cable, i.e. for a wired scanner, you purchase the scanner + the cable type you require, so you could be one scanner and all three type of cable and switch between them by simply swapping cables.

Hope that helps

Paul