[dundee] Tiling Window Managers & VirtualBox

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:33:27 UTC 2010

Hmm, I decided I wanted to setup a lightweight system that I could run a
couple of VMs side by side. I decided it was a good time to try a tiling
window manager as they would also more easily organise other stuff I wanted
to do. Plus obviously curiosity.
Anyway, I tried wmii and found it had limited dual head support. I then
discovered i3 which looks practically the same, but apparently has better
dual head support.
Now. I have dual head working... sort of. And I have my VMs booting at
login. But I am having trouble spreading the tabs over my monitors. You will
have to forgive me as I'm not at my PC right now, I don't have the actual
config file. The initial problem seems to be that my right monitor shows up
as DVI-I_2/digital and i3 doesn't like the /, nor does it work without the
/digital.

I am not sure whether it's related, but assigning things to the tab doesn't
work for my different VMs, not _entirely_ sure what I'm meant to be putting
there...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Nistur