[dundee] Watchdog slams “wasteful” Government IT spending

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 2 08:58:13 UTC 2010

In the wake of US government departments being criticized in IT related
areas now it is the UK's turn. In this case it is Edward Leigh MP, outgoing
Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee, in an open letter to his
successor slamming the procurement of new IT systems. He stated “These new
IT systems are over-ambitious, overly complex and failing to deliver what is
promised while costs rocket”. He singled out the Ministry of Defence's new
£7 billion Defence Information Infrastructure as an example and pointed out
that hundreds of millions of pounds are being wasted in IT projects. It all
sounds familiar and I wonder what the percentage of IT projects are based on
open source, I bet you it is a very tiny fraction indeed. Here is Edward
Leigh's letter:

 http://edward-leigh.net/Documents/Chairman%27s%20essay%20final.pdf