[dundee] Clean-up your Ubuntu machine

Brett Sheffield brett at gladserv.com
Fri Apr 9 08:16:01 UTC 2010

Nicholas Walker wrote:
> What's more unbeleivable is the response of the developer.... :/
> He must have been having a *really* bad day.
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Axel <newsletter at axelbor.de> wrote:
>
>> There is a unbelievable bug/feature in a Ubuntu shell script.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upstart/+bug/557177

Reported Wednesday.  Fix committed Thursday.  Not bad for a developer
with a huge amount on his plate in the run up to a major release.

It's a pity developers and package maintainers have to put up with
comments like "EPIC FAIL! hahaha" as appeared in this bug report.
People tend to forget that it's not a discussion forum, and that
*anyone* can submit a patch.  Much more useful than shouting at the
developer.

I've been impressed with the speed at which the ubuntu team respond
during releases.  I reported a bug with the ubuntu 10.04 server
installer, as it failed to detect any ide/sata devices (making it kinda
difficult to install). Fix committed within 24 hours, released a day
after that.  Free Software rocks.