[dundee] Fwd: [ubuntu-uk] The tablet everyone is talking about..

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Fri Apr 9 13:04:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 12:52:15PM +0100, Nicholas Walker wrote:
> Looked into this today, looks like I'm getting one, however the thing only
> runs on mains.... how feasible do people think it will be to run it on
> battery power?

I haven't got mine yet (DHL has it somewhere...) to actually have a
look and see what the power supply is but I'd expect it'll be DC into
the unit itself so one of the external battery pack type things[1] for
laptops etc. should work just by plugging it in. Could do more hacking
to get the charge level reported by the software and fit everything in
one case.

If you've got an old laptop it would probably be possible to recycle
the battery and power system to feed the Joggler but that would
require a bit more hacking.

I'm not sure what the power use of the Joggler is (I saw 5W quoted
somewhere but I don't know if that's min, max or some kind of average)
but if it's low enough then it might be possible to get it running off
a collection of AAs or other standard battery types.

  Robert

[1] - http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=external+laptop+battery

Robert McWilliam            rmcw at allmail.net             www.ormiret.com

Learning without thought is labour lost;
thought without learning is perilous.
	-- Confucius