[dundee] DNS aliases question

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:08:54 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm currently wanting to create a local alias to a domain name, e.g.
I'd like to do the following kind of mapping:

foo => foo.bar.com

or even

goog => www.google.com

Obviously if you know the ip address of foo.bar.com you can add an
entry into /etc/hosts, however there's no way I can see to setup the
equivalent of a DNS cname locally by tweaking a file like /etc/hosts.

I've taken a peek at /etc/resolv.conf too but can't see anything to do this...

Installing additional services to do this isn't going to fly.  Any
suggestions appreciated.

R.