[dundee] Usable Linux with GUI on old hardware

Christopher Wyllie cgwyllie at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:34:38 UTC 2010

Hey,

Perhaps checkout elive (www.elivecd.org). It looks shiny and here's the
minimum quoted requirements:

"The minimum hardware for running Elive is a 100 Mhz CPU and 64 MB of RAM,
but the minimum recommended hardware is 300 Mhz and 128 Mb of RAM. You do
not need any special graphics card or 3D acceleration to run Elive. "

It looks good and runs pretty smoothly. I suggest using the development
version for a couple of reasons:

1. It's not needing a donation to download
2. It's based on debian lenny, not etch
3. It runs just as stably as the 'stable' version and with a dist-upgrade it
can be upgraded when the next stable comes out

It's a live CD so you could try it out, or install it. There's even an
option to install with a compressed file system for systems which have tiny
disks.

Good luck!
  Chris