[dundee] Usable Linux with GUI on old hardware

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 10:38:27 UTC 2010

Its for an IT guy but from a Windows background and running a Windows
shop though he seems to like Macs.

He basically wants the moon on a stick and is not willing to
compromise, hes installing Windows 7 on anything else he can get his
hands on that supports it but these won't. I tried talking the guy
into buying more memory for the Thinkpads or letting me set then up
without his input but no luck.

They've also got a Dell Inspiron 2500 with no HD thats 1GHz, 256 MB
RAM so I figured I could install something to USB and get a floppy or
CD to bootstrap it. The only thing I can get to boot is DSL and the
graphics are a bit messed up... I can get so far with others but they
die on Xorg/Xvesa... might try a framebuffer window manager.

I've also pushed the benefits of running them as servers, NASes etc but no luck.

They've got about 10 old desktops in addition to the laptops but I
think they're going to be cannibalised and marked for Windows-7-hood

Today he seems to have dropped the whole thing but I'm not sure.

Kris