[dundee] TPM HAcked

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 17:42:56 UTC 2010

Some of you may remember the trusted computing video we play a way back in
agust 2007

if you have not seen it  http://www.lafkon.net/tc/ (only 3 mins long )

well*"Christopher Tarnovsky has pulled off the 'near impossible' TPM
hardware hack. We all knew it was only a matter of time; this is why you
shouldn't entrust your data to proprietary solutions. From the article: 'The
technique can also be used to tap text messages and email belonging to the
user of a lost or stolen phone. Tarnovsky said he can't be sure, however,
whether his attack would work on TPM chips made by companies other than
Infineon. Infineon said it knew this type of attack was possible when it was
testing its chips. But the company said independent tests determined that
the hack would require such a high skill level that there was a limited
chance of it affecting many users. ... The Trusted Computing Group, which
sets standards on TPM chips, called the attack "exceedingly difficult to
replicate in a real-world environment."*
*
*
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10625082&pnum=0

azmodie