[dundee] [Fwd: Re: Linux Society Website]

Arron M Finnon finux at finux.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 15:57:18 UTC 2010

Wow timing is king, i thought this issue was a mute point as no one
apart from myself, swifty, and big kris mentioned it recently.  Defo not
a conspiracy

Scroll down for finux replys ;)

Rick Moynihan wrote:
> Scroll down for reply:
>
> On 19 February 2010 11:27, Arron M Finnon <finux at finux.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Its a shame that no one has done any updating on it, i mean if you looked at
>> it you would think that the society died after software freedom day.
>>
>> I understand that there are plans to change the site, but as someone
>> mentioned to me "if you where a bank designing a new site you just wouldn't
>> shut up shop on the old one whilst doing it".  I have to agree.  I fear in
>> fact the lack of anything happening on that site may actually damage the
>> linux society.  If you looked two weeks ago for linux in dundee and that
>> popped up you'd think the linux community in dundee may have died.  Which
>> isn't the case.
>>

> Agreed!  Visiting the site today I see that the domain registrar is
> now displaying its page and the site as it was has vanished.  What
> happened to the old site?!?!  I think as a society we need to take the
> website seriously and not use it as a place for playing annoying
> javascript tricks on our users.  Personally I think hacks and tricks
> such as this betray the whole community, and give a poor impression of
> us as a community trying to engage with the wider public.

Think the betrayed bit is a little harsh, Big Kris aptly proved a point,
that due to its hiatus anything could be done on the site at the mo.
Plus it sat there long enough and no one did owt.  I also want to hit
back here and say that the poor impression was already there, it was
raised by Robert Ladyman on the list but has been raised previously in
person by a few.  Nothing by ANYONE was added to that site since
September (maybe even before that)
> Aside from this, I think it would be a good idea to get the old site
> back in place as soon as possible.  Dead inbound links negatively
> affect a sites page rank.  Once in place content and pages should
> exist as stable entities and we should take care not to lose them
> (creating deadlinks).  If we ever need to move pages then we should do
> so with redirects.  The site previously appeared to enjoy a reasonable
> page rank, it could take months or years for a new site to restore it.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  Its nice to have good ranks but there is issues
attached to this.  Is that content being used by THIS community, largely
i would hazard a guess not any more.
> The worst thing we can do is start afresh...  We need to build on what
> is there already and respect the old site along with the majority of
> its content.  If we need to move to another CMS, then we should either
> import all the old posts into the CMS and setup redirects if their
> URLs change, or leave the old CMS up in place, with its old content
> moved under a subdirectory (with redirects again put in place).

hey my point is that site could have still carried on, still been used,
there is no reason at all for this in my mind that is.  Without pointing
fingers though, what was the last thing anyone posted before Kris, and
then before me
> If there are no plans to immediately replace this site, then as a
> stop-gap we should at least redirect to the Dundee LUG wiki, which
> Gordon setup. This is IMHO an excellent start at a community site and
> very under-used.

Love Gordon's site i think its a brilliant piece of work and well done
> As Arron says though...  Content is King, fixing the content is most
> important... Only when this is fixed should we consider fixing bugs in
> the site or switching CMS's.

Wow its such a strange position being on the same side of the fence as
you Rick, a position we haven't often shared (onli skiddin bud)

>> I don't want to speak out of turn but really if its going to be left like
>> that, then my 2 pence worth is please pull it down.  Otherwise please do
>> something with it, the layout is not always critical, without being rude and
>> as the media says its 'content stupid'.
>>

> Agreed.  And incidentally I don't think you're speaking out of turn.
> You spent a lot of time writing content and setting up the old site,
> it's only fair that this effort should be respected going forward.

Hey no respect due to me bud, they gave me a shiny glass award for it
all so everyone's even
> If anyone is speaking out of turn here, then it is doubtless me...
> But as an active, paid member of the society I feel that the website
> represents the WHOLE community.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Your like one of the family Rick, your just the gezzer that was needed
in this debate.  However if we pull the WHOLE community card out here,
that might mean that the WHOLE community take some ownership, i mean
really i'm as guilty as you, or nick, or kris or anyone of not
representing the society on that site

--
Arron "finux" Finnon

Finux.co.uk/blog - Twitter.com/f1nux - facebook.com/finux

Podcasting for HPR and TRACsec, shows can be found at;
http://www.tracsec.com