[dundee] IPV6

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 10:06:57 UTC 2010

Okay I'm fishing out the links for my project stuff but:

> 1. Did you have to buy any special equipment (e.g. new switches, routers,
> network cards)?
    - Networks cards: No just install the protocol really
    - Switches: Assuming a standard unmanaged or managed switch then
no, IPv6 still uses frames. If its some weird router/switch hybrid (L3
switch) then you'll need a firmware/IOS/OS upgrade.
    - Routers - Didn't have to buy anything, you'll need a
firmware/IOS/OS upgrade thought, which raises some problems with home
routers - companies going out of business, the device not having the
specs to handle IPv6 etc. I ran it on a WTR54G/GL/GS and and a Cisco
2610XM 32f/128d, 2800 routers.

> 2. How did you handle DHCP / address allocation?
    - Well theres three ways for it to autoconfigure.
        + Something like APIPA for IPv^
        + Via ICMPv6 with a router advertisements configured, this is
basically APIPA on steroids and allows a basic configuration (Address,
Gateway, DNS)
        + Via a DHCPv6 server, you can also combine this with option
ICMPv6/router advertisements

> 3. Did you run it / are you running it over IPV4 or have you got a 'pure' IPV6 network?
    - My VPS is pure IPv6, in that its IPv6 address is not tunnelled
over IPv4, but it also has an IPv4 address.
    - My flat network was:
        + Mixed internal, mixed external (IPv6 tunnelled over IPv4)
hacked as much as possible to disable the IPv4 external
        + Mixed internal, IPv4 external
        + Mixed internal, IPv6 external (tunnelled over IPv4)
        + IPv4 internal, mixed external (IPv6 tunnelled over IPv4)
hacked as much as possible to disable the IPv4 external
        + IPv4 internal, IPv4 external
        + IPv4 internal, IPv6 external (tunnelled over IPv4)
        + IPv6 internal, mixed external (IPv6 tunnelled over IPv4)
hacked as much as possible to disable the IPv4 external
        + IPv6 internal, IPv4 external
        + IPv6 internal, IPv6 external (tunnelled over IPv4)
    - A few ISPs support it natively, JaNET does also.