[dundee] Google threatens to pull out of China due to government attacks

Nicholas Walker tel0seh at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:55:32 UTC 2010

I think this whole thing is blown way out of proportion by the media.
Attacks of these kinds occur every day, and the impact of them has been
tiny. Only thing compromised was a few subject lines, along with account
creation dates.  I'll write a bigger post on the matter later, just
finishing off my uni coursework at the moment. :D

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM, gordon dunlop
<zubenel at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> 2010/1/13 Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com>
>
> This seems like a big deal:
>>
>> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-approach-to-china.html
>>
>> Essentially Google are standing up to the Chinese government who are
>> repeatedly and systematically attacking their infrastructure...  It
>> looks like the Chinese government are doing this to get information on
>> Chinese human rights activists.... Though there's doubtless lots of
>> corporate espionage going on.
>>
>> Here's an analysis by Northrop Grumman on how the Chinese Government
>> organise their hacking attempts:
>>
>> http://www.thomascrampton.com/china/china-cyberwar/
>>

>   They appear to be using an exploit in Internet Explorer to mount these
> attacks
>

> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/354832/internet-explorer-flaw-led-to-google-china-attacks
>
>  Gordon
>
> Good to see Google taking a stand.