[dundee] Apple releases camera for iPad

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:42:35 UTC 2010

On 29 January 2010 11:05, Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/29/daguerreotype_auction/
>
> Should fit in well with their previous efforts.
>
> On the subject of the iPad - any views? I notice that it seems to be DRM-
> encumbered.

It's a piece of junk...  Seriously, even if you buy into the whole
"I'd love a device for arm-chair/bedtime web browsing" thing, it's
badly lacking.

It's a consumer device...  And by consumer, I mean all you can do with
it is consume content.  Tablets and devices like this have their
niche, but the iPad is so encumbered it's mostly useless.  Take a look
at the web experience:

1) No Flash
2) No PDFs via the web...
3) No tabbed browsing

There's also no prospect of these EVER being added.  As it's
essentially just an iphone you can't download things from the web, so
for all your content needs you're forced into their app store and
itunes, where it's all money for old rope.

It's also not a communications device, which means that IM is out the
window...  iPhone O/S doesn't do background tasks, which means that
social-networkers won't be able to get facebook status updates through
their facebook-apps etc...  Instead they'll have to rely on email.

I'm betting within the next 3 months, we'll see a plethora of more
capable  tablets, targeting the same market...  They'll be half the
price, almost as good-looking and running linux, probably something
like UNR, android or maemo.  They'll also doubtless do everything that
the iPad doesn't.

R.