[dundee] No More Playstation 3 Linux

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:39:08 UTC 2010

On 29 March 2010 18:51, Hazel McKendrick <dreamisdead0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember at least one person here had Linux installed on a PS3, and this
> seemed pretty rage-worthy news:
> http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/
>
> The next Playstation 3 firmware update will prevent owners installing
> alternate operating systems, or accessing alternative OSs they've already
> installed.
> If you choose not to update, you'll lose access to Playstation Network
> (including games you've bought through this and online features of games
> you've paid for) as well as the ability to play newer games which require
> updated firmware.
>
> I'd be more than a little upset if I owned a PS3, particularly since Sony
> committed to continue support for the "feature" less than a year ago:
>  http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2010-February/007202.html
>
> -- Hazel

I have linux installed on my ps3.

This rumor has been floating about for a while.  According to Geoffrey
Levand, PS3-Linux maintainer at Sony, those rumors are untrue.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/sony-phat-ps3s-will-not-lose-other-os-feature.html

although that seems to be a new post. its also worth noting the date of the
release is april the 1st.   we will just have to wait and see.

azmodie