[dundee] Copiers have hard drives?

Arron M Finnon finux at finux.co.uk
Sat May 15 10:09:13 UTC 2010

azmodie wrote:
> you mean its a all singing all dancing and it doesent have a man page
Or its a target, hmmm ftp servers, hmmm pdf's, lots of connections back
and forth.  Be a nice place to stash some stuff i would imagine, oh hang
on yeah its a fax machine as well.  I think these things are going to
introduce as much worries to the sys admin as the users.

> azmodie
>
> On 15 May 2010 00:51, Paul Lancaster <paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk
> <mailto:paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 09:36 +0200, Axel wrote:
>     > Interesting, but why they have a hard disc? I mean from a technical
>     > point it isn't necessary. If it necessary to store a document
>     > temporarily, it can store into the RAM and after switching off the
>     > machine all sensible data past away.
>     >
>     Our new all singing all dancing copiers / fax /scanner / printers,
>     allow
>     users to send jobs to the printer, but for confidentiality, do not
>     print
>     until the user is at the printer and enters a pin number. Also
>     means if
>     you print something in error, just dont go and collect it, as all jobs
>     are wiped after 24hrs.
>     They also scan to PDF and allow and work as an ftp server to allow you
>     to transfer the scan to your PC later.
>     Faxes are scanned to hard drive then transmitted after (via phone line
>     or via TCP/IP to another networked printer).
>     Data on the hard drive is encrypted - can say to what level, suppose I
>     should read the manual - ive heard that before.
>
>     Paul

Arron "finux" Finnon

Finux.co.uk/blog - Twitter.com/f1nux - facebook.com/finux

Podcasting for HPR and TRACsec, shows can be found at;
http://www.tracsec.com