[dundee] Meego woes/rant

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Thu Nov 4 12:58:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:30 +0000, tompaynter at tdpe.co.uk wrote:

> Are there any good devices running meego yet? I quite fancy having a go
> programming one.
>
> I like Qt its a good framework.

I don't think there are any devices shipping with meego yet (the N9 is
rumored for early next year, but the N900 was about 3 months late after
they announced a launch date so who knows when the N9 might actually
turn up). I think it's possible to install the netbook version on an
Atom based netbook but I don't know what the hardware support is like
for things other than the processor. You can install the handset version
on an N900 but last time I looked it didn't have a GUI yet.

I think that's kind of the reason that it's a pain to get running at the
moment: it's still new and they haven't completely figured out the
development processes yet. The folks from the Intel side are focusing on
developing on real hardware, and the Nokia people are used to cross
compiling apps and having prototype hardware to play with. I expect the
simulator support will get sorted out shortly (if meego survives long
enough - I'm a bit worried Nokia will give up on it and switch to
Android (or worse)).

Since meego is playing catchup with apps I keep thinking about having a
play to see what is needed to get Android apps running on something
other than Android. I remember a demo of Android apps running on Ubuntu
but never actually saw details of what they were doing for that (though
I tend to get sidetracked about 5 minutes in every time I look at
this...).

Robert
Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

The opinions expressed herin are not necessarily those of my
employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.