[dundee] Zero energy cost, zero carbon home server

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 11 22:28:44 UTC 2010

On 11 November 2010 13:36, Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk> wrote:

> This is really interesting: the chap went from multiple boxes to a single
> (linux) laptop to a Sheeva plug (again running Linux) - well worth a read.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/11/diy_zero_energy_home_server/

 A very, very interesting article Robert, Fedora has an ARM port

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM>A dual-core Opteron 175 as
a server draws 120 watts on its own, I liked the way he dealt with the
reduction in the threads/child processes and application memory management.
I had posted an article on the mailing list about how data centers and
clusters could be built using ARM chips to reduce cost and power
consumption.

Now if I could run CentOS 6 on this with headless virtual machines at 100MB
memory per virtual machine that would be really interesting. A bit of
reading up on this subject is required (among other things), and you can
take it further like running virtual machines on smartphones etc...Like what
I said a lot of food for
thought.<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2362903,00.asp>