[dundee] Faster Linux Performance

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 21 22:47:47 UTC 2010

A 200 line patch is going to be included to the Linux kernel to give it a
faster responsiveness.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1

Lennart Poettering wrote a 4 line userspace bash shell code to do it

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/11/forget-200-lines-red-hat-speed.html

The thing is that the bash 4 line code only works if you are using systemd
in Fedora 14. I think this is Lennart's way in letting people know that he
is a bit annoyed for systemd not being the default initialisation system in
Fedora 14 (too many bugs that were not quite resolved), it will be in Fedora
15.

For the majority of Linux users (not using systemd) there is a way to do it
in userland for all the distributions thanks to Ricardo Ferreira.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sHRYRuAN

This works both in Fedora & Ubuntu, some things to watch here.

1. In Fedora /etc/rc.local is just a symbolic link to /etc/system.d/rc.local
so when you edit /etc/rc.local it writes to /etc/system.d/rc.local (no
problem just pointing this out)
2. /etc/rc.local in both Fedora & Ubuntu are executable so there is no need
for the chmod +x command. Test this with

$ ls -la /etc/rc.local

This should show you if it is executable.

Just to let people know what the latest is happening in systemd

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd-update-2.html

Anyway the code is going to be added to the Linux kernel if people don't
like mucking about with userspace. I haven't done any benchmarking or using
it under heavy loads yet (other things to do), so if anyone tries this can
let me know what you think about this.