[dundee] TayLug - light blue touchpaper and don't retire...

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 22:05:27 UTC 2010

On 25 November 2010 21:10, gordon dunlop <zubenel at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>  I am a member of the Abertay Linux Society, so are you, as well as being a
> member of TayLUG. This AGM is about the business of the Linux Society which
> hosts the meetings at Abertay. most Linux Society members are also TayLUG
> members. TayLUG does not have an AGM as we do not hold meetings or have any
> financial dealings, we are just a mailing list.

This is the situation right now, but you need to ask is it optimal?
Yes, TayLUG is a mailing list (and a great one at that), but should
TayLUG not become an entity in its own right?  The Linux Society has
clearly done a huge amount to support Dundee's Linux community, but
politically with its ties to Abertay and the Student body it might not
be the right shape to do everything the community wants of it.

Hence, why not make TayLUG an entity in its own right...  which is
free from University ties, it can have its own bank account, raise its
own money, and elect its own officials, who may or may not be
students.  There are (or at least were) non-student members who've
wanted to engage more pro actively, but have been inhibited by a
purely student-led organisation.

Note, I am not criticising students here... as they are without doubt
some of the communities most active members, but having an
organisation which can draw in talent and support from the wider
community has got to be a good thing.  We could then benefit from the
skills in our existing membership more easily, which includes students
but also open-source professionals, entrepreneurs, business men,
tinkerers and hackers.

Sadly since moving to Manchester, I can't really participate in such
an endeavour; beyond of course wishing you all, all the best!

R.