[dundee] TayLug - light blue touchpaper and don't retire...

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 00:39:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:05:00 +0000
Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hence, why not make TayLUG an entity in its own right...  which is
> free from University ties, it can have its own bank account, raise its
> own money, and elect its own officials, who may or may not be
> students.  There are (or at least were) non-student members who've
> wanted to engage more pro actively, but have been inhibited by a
> purely student-led organisation.
>
> Note, I am not criticising students here... as they are without doubt
> some of the communities most active members, but having an
> organisation which can draw in talent and support from the wider
> community has got to be a good thing.  We could then benefit from the
> skills in our existing membership more easily, which includes students
> but also open-source professionals, entrepreneurs, business men,
> tinkerers and hackers.

I just want to comment as someone who has only been to the odd meeting
over the years. I never actually realised that the society was so
closely tied to the university. Obviously I realised that it played a
significant part but not in any official way.

If I actually lived in Dundee (the commute really puts me off, sorry!),
not only would I go to more meetings but I could see myself being more
actively involved. If being a student is necessary to hold an official
position, I wouldn't see that as a significant barrier to making
contributions but at the same time, it does seem a little silly.

I'm currently learning to drive so maybe I'll get my arse out of this
chair before long. I'm also about to have my first kid pop out very
soon though so I may not be so free, after all. ;)

James