[dundee] TayLug - light blue touchpaper and don't retire...

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 09:49:39 UTC 2010

> I just want to comment as someone who has only been to the odd meeting
> over the years. I never actually realised that the society was so
> closely tied to the university. Obviously I realised that it played a
> significant part but not in any official way.
>
> If I actually lived in Dundee (the commute really puts me off, sorry!),
> not only would I go to more meetings but I could see myself being more
> actively involved. If being a student is necessary to hold an official
> position, I wouldn't see that as a significant barrier to making
> contributions but at the same time, it does seem a little silly.
>
> I'm currently learning to drive so maybe I'll get my arse out of this
> chair before long. I'm also about to have my first kid pop out very
> soon though so I may not be so free, after all. ;)
>
> James

I haven't managed to get to many meetings this year either: Thursday has been
the worst day for me.

I believe that the rules for The Linux Society are that the President,
Treasurer and Secretary must all be students (I am happy to be corrected)
which, in effect, means that control and responsibility lie with the
University.  It isn't necessarily a barrier to others contributing, but means
that when students are absent (or very busy) things go awry: for instance,
much of the organisation for FOSSDay (which takes place in September) has to
be done during the summer when students have either left and moved on, or are
on holiday - no blame to them, that's just an example.

TayLug itself hasn't got any positions, I think (Gordon will correct me) but I
tend to think of Gordon as El Presidente as he tends to takes responsibility
for a number of things (for instance, http://dundeelug.org.uk/ is always up-
to-date with the meeting dates and times, etc.)

RJL