[dundee] TayLug and The O/S Proposal

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 11:03:08 UTC 2011

For those of you not present at the AGM, the 'Large majority' of TayLug
mentioned in the "Just when you thought it safe to return......" thread was
myself (I am quite large, right enough)...Kris was there as well but as the
webmaster for the ex-TLS (now new-and-shiny "The O/S").

Based on the level of TayLug attendance at the AGM and discussions with those
who prefer a more relaxed approach, I would like to make a consititutional
suggestion regarding TayLug, but it will require the agreement of The O/S as
well.

Here goes:-

Instead of a formal structure for TayLug, mimicking that of The O/S I would
suggest that The O/S allow and encourage the formation of Special Interest
Groups (or some such name).

The exemplar I would give is that of a FOSSDay2011 SIG, with members
responsible for getting FOSSDay running, advertising it, etc. This SIG (and
all others) would have a threesome at its head (much like The O/S itself:
Pres,Sec and Treasurer) and can consist of members who will be around
throughout the summer as well as more transient members. The O/S can give it a
SIG-controlled budget (so that we don't repeat the money troubles of last
year) and either a specific or continuous task (you might have a FOSSDay SIG
that is responsible for every year, rather than just for 2011) which that SIG
is responsible for performing.

In line with the above, TayLug could either be subsumed into The O/S as a
specific SIG (say, the Linux SIG, or the TayLug SIG, or whatever) or TayLug
members who wish to be active can join relevant SIGs. We (TayLug) would all
become members of The O/S, paying dues, etc. The mailing list would continue
as-is: there would be only one society and we won't be duplicating effort
across two. TayLug members who do not wish to be active do not have to be
(that's NOT a criticism of those members): those who wish to be active can be
so.

SIGS can meet at their own convenience / schedule (as long as they meet at
least - say - 4 times per year) in line with the needs of their particular
interests or responsibilities: my example here is that, come August and
September, the FOSSDaySIG would want to be meeting much more frequently than
fortnightly. The O/S as a full group would continue to meet as usual
(fortnightly), of course.

From the list discussions regarding TayLug (mostly from the "light blue
touchpaper" thread), suggestions were:-

* to be more formal / have a more formal non-student ('Winter Blonde/
Greybeard') leadership
* to help the student members (particularly when their commitments outweigh
the need of The O/S)
* to maintain the mailing list
* to maintain the links between Winter Blondes and students while recognizing
the differences in requirements
* to manage its own money / budget
* to have its own officials
* to have continuity/stability after students leave / change of The O/S
officers
* to maintain one community
* to be able to have separate meetings occasionally

From off-list discussions:-
* not get dragged into forming a mirror society
* not have a TayLug that consists solely of its officers
* not have a repeat of the Arron-and-Bob show of 2009
* track / find out the current TayLug membership numbers (e.g. how many new
members have we had in 2010)
* eliminate the confusion about the two entities

I feel that the SIG structure answers the majority of the discussion points
and provides the level of formality required without duplicating effort or
diluting the membership across two societies. The thing it does not give to
the non-student members is the ability to fill the University-mandated
positions, but it would allow them to take an active part in running The O/S.

Comments?

--
Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited