[dundee] war stories

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 08:09:18 UTC 2011

Most commonly seen from from newbies, and what I did as a newbie (soooo long
agooooo):-

Not knowing where to get other software from (that is, that there is a
software installation program of some sort) and trying to download programs
from the web (this is the most common).

How do I open a Word file?...and accidentally saving in ODT format instead of
DOC.

Help, my screen's gone! (when you've got multiple X workspaces / desktops).

This program's crashed - how can I get rid of it (CTRL-ALT-ESC in KDE)

Why can't I listen to music / watch films, etc.

Where the hell is the documentation?

Having a wireless SSID of http://10.0.0.86 and not realising that the wireless
software (at the time) used the SSID as the name of the file for the settings
(this was me)

Being unable to work out why my password would not save in KMail....until I
realised that my ISP had given me one with a '#' (hash) at the start: that's
used as a comment in KDE config files.

--
Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited