[dundee] Meeting Thursday 3rd of May - Drupal by Robert Carr

Stuart 'NxFifteen' Anderson root-theos at nxfifteen.com
Fri Apr 27 17:13:42 UTC 2012

Good evening everyone,

I hope you have all been having a productive week. A special shout out to
Gavin and Arron who both gave talks at BSideLondon. From all the reports I
have been hearing it was a tremendous success, but I look forward to hearing
from both of your first hand!

We're only another week away from the next meeting, but before I tell you all
about it let me remind everyone of the Saturday coffee mornings. They are held
at the Burgh Coffee House on Castle Street usually starting from 09:30 and
running till ... well whenever everyone leaves. Its a very informal gather
where we `talk geek` over a few coffees. So if you've never been to a meeting
before its a great time to come along and meet some of us.

P.S. If you get there before 11:00 The Burgh are still offering a free refill!

Our next society talk will be held next Thursday in the Burgh Coffee House on
Castle Street. We have an exciting talk lined up on Drupal being given by a
new speaker. Robert Carr will be talking us through the Drupal content
management system written in PHP. The full abstract is bellow, _but_ please
not the slightly later start. Instead of our usual 18:30 (6:00pm) starting
time our next meeting is scheduled for 19:00 (7:00pm)

Drupal is an open-source content management system written in PHP and
distributed under the GPL. It is used in around 2% of all websites
worldwide, and rapidly gaining hold in the education and enterprise
sectors.

Although Drupal offers a sophisticated API and shell interface for
developers, no programming skills are required for basic installation
and administration. Drupal core facilitates the basic functions common
to most CMSs (user management, menu administration etc), and there are
almost 10,000 free community-contributed add-ons (themes and modules)
to add new features or customize behaviour and appearance. There are
also distributions that provide pre-configured, out-of-the-box
solutions.

Drupal runs on any platform that is capable of running PHP (Apache,
Nginx, IIS etc) and a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB etc) to
store content and settings.

The talk will cover the basics of how Drupal works, the benefits of
using Drupal, the community behind it and how to find out more.

As always, if you have been, thanks for reading
* Stuart McCulloch Anderson    |  http://nx15.me.uk
*  OpenPGP Key ID: A7EEB609    |  http://nx15.me.uk/contact
*  FingerPrint: 299B6F75C137950F031F5DFAD4065F5EA7EEB609
A vivid and creative mind characterizes you.