[dundee] FOSS in Brazil

Kevin listtaylug at kevinisageek.org
Wed Feb 22 15:21:17 UTC 2012

This week's talk will be on  how the Brazillian governament is helping
to promote the Foss throughout  the country, Also how Linux and open
source software is helping  change and chapping the Brazilian economy.
The charitable aspect of the Open source software that is helping
people with very low income to be able to gain education for free in
small computer community centers all powered by our loved Penguin.
Brazil often makes Linux-related headlines, the latest being the
adoption of KDE in Brazilian public schools. It’s clear that Brazil is
enamored with Linux, but why? This is an important question for us and
for  Microsoft since emerging markets are key to sales growth.
Microsoft’s Annual Report  reported that “impressive growth included
India, China, and Brazil which all delivered revenue growth that
topped 40 percent”, which is much faster than growth in developed
countries. These markets are also friendly towards Linux and pose
significant challenges for Microsoft.

Many cultural issues work against Microsoft to mobilize Brazilians in
favor of the Penguin. I’ll hit up the three I deem biggest:
 1) utter disregard for copyright,
 2) strong anti-Microsoft feelings, and
 3) Linux alpha geek monopoly. A thorny reality aggravates the first
two issues: anti-American sentiment.

When I was growing up in Brazil, paying for software licenses was
about as natural as a third arm growing out of your back. Whenever you
needed software, you’d dial up a friendly pirate and buy a
“collection” for, uh, £30. That included, my friends, instant home
delivery: the guy would drive to your house and deliver the
collection. If you were programming at night, he might even bring you
a pizza.

As per usual, 6.30PM sharp at the Burgh Coffee House, Dundee