[dundee] Thursday 31st talk

simon Wells siwells at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 22:22:46 UTC 2012

Currently I don't. I missed out on the original ATV, which was basically a cut down mac mini in my eyes and I already have one of those from around the same time which still sees daily use. I never got around to buying any of the newer versions of ATV, yet… I keep toying with the idea of the ATV3+jailbreak. With SSH access it could become a quite desirable little shell server but I haven't seen any straightforward & reliable jailbreaks for it so far. Hence I was hoping that your talk might have been about making the ATV3 less apple-y.

I feel that the ATV3 is, hardware wise, very similar to the Raspberry Pi and could fill a similar niche, i.e. less than a hundred quid (cost of RPI + an enclosure, PSU, &c), connect to a tv, USB expansion, and having a fairly robust & modern *nix in the form of IOS preinstalled. It just needs a simple way to jailbreak then get some educational software & coding tools installed. As a result I reckon that Apple is missing a trick here in getting cheap, low-power, educational machines into the hands of everyone.

Simon