[dundee] Meeting February 28th - A Salesman's Guide to Social Engineering - Redux

Chairman The Software Society chairman at thesoftwaresociety.org.uk
Sun Feb 24 17:32:33 UTC 2013

This week we have our next meeting, details bellow. Again I want to apologise that
details of my own talk never made it to the list - I only found out the emails had
failed Thursday night! - but I'm pleased so many of you were still able to come and
I want to emphasise again that unless otherwise stated, here or on the calendar,
there will always be a meeting.

As for this weeks meeting...

Here are the details, use them anyway you see fit -
Next Meeting: February 28th @19:00
Gavin Ewan - "A Salesman's Guide to Social Engineering - Redux"
@ The Burgh Coffee House (Up Stairs), Commercial Street
http://thesoftwaresociety.org.uk/calendar

Last year I delivered a presentation at a few places called 'A Salesman's Guide to
Social Engineering', in which I drew parallels between the process of a sale and a
process that could be used by social engineers.  The presentation was well received
but lacked one thing, context.

What would an attack by a trained salesperson look like?

What would they 'go after' in your organisation?

How would they get away with it?

A Salesman's Guide to Social Engineering - Redux seeks to examine a hypothetical
real world attack by a salesperson to see how the process developed in the first
presentation would actually be applied.  Using a narrative throughout, you will
be taken through an attack from information discovery to aftermath, and be left
wondering, "What if one of our salesforce turned to the 'dark side' and carried
this out?"  "Are we prepared?"

Look forward to seeing you there!

And as always...
  If you have been, thanks for reading

Stuart McCulloch Anderson
Chairman

The Software Society Limited
3 Ralston Business Centre,
Newtyle, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, PH12 8TL, SCOTLAND

Mobile: +44 (0) 7787 432 476

A Company Limited by Guarantee