[dundee] Servers in my pocket (SIMP) and DTNs

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 22:11:48 UTC 2013

Happy New Year to those of you who are celebrating a New Year...

Many thanks to those who came to the "No Such Thing..." talk.

I was thinking more about what could be done with in-pocket (on-phone)
servers, other than the identity / location stuff: I was reading an article
about how Syria had just re-enabled its disconnected internetworking
connection and also recalled what happened in Egypt, etc. - what might be
called 'challenged' networks - and that lead me to think about a
disconnected, store-and-forward network where, for instance, [encrypted]
messages are passed 'hand-to-hand' (or pocket-server to pocket-server) until
a fully networked connection is reached... if at all necessary (local
dissemination might be enough).

Unsurprisingly, I can remember the old FIDONET and UUCP stuff and started
looking at them, coming across "Delay-Tolerant Networking", including a paper
co-authored by our old friend Vint Cerf:

http://www.das.ufsc.br/~montez/DAS6606/delay%20tolerant%20network.pdf

...and an interesting powerpoint with an Interplanetary Network model

http://classes.soe.ucsc.edu/cmpe257/Winter11/DTNs_home.pptx

One could picture visiting a coffee shop, your SIMP picking up a message or
two; travelling to a bus station, where they are passed on to others'
SIMPS ...and so on.

Regards,
RJL
--

Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited, 32 Church Street, Newtyle