[dundee] Meeting January 17th - Developing websites and web apps with a snake

Chairman The Software Society chairman at thesoftwaresociety.org.uk
Tue Jan 8 18:56:20 UTC 2013

Evening dudes and dudettes,

I hope everyone had a good brake, however you were spending it. Having talked to
a few of you over the festive period I can tell Santa was in a tech mood and think
we'll be seeing a number of Nexus 7's making appearances and even a few RasberyPi's
in the background.

Now that 2013 is apon us its time for the first meeting of the new year

Here are the details, use them anyway you see fit -
Next Meeting: January 17th @19:00
              Paul Sutherland - "Developing websites and web apps with a snake"
              @ The Burgh Coffee House (Up Stairs), Commercial Street
              http://thesoftwaresociety.org.uk/calendar

Modern web development of dynamic websites has moved on considerably from the days of serving static hand coded HTML pages which required modification by a web-master or sysadmin. Consideration of database access, templating, session management, user management, security, new Ajax and JavaScript libraries and many more advances that take time to implement and crucially to get right. To alleviate this overhead, a web application framework helps to ease this burden and free you to concentrate on being productive.

This talk will give an introduction to an Open Source Python Web Framework built on top of the Zope application server which can be used for any kind of website, including blogs, internet sites, webshops and internal websites.

The talk will give an overview of what the framework is and what it does, how to set up an EC2 Ubuntu server for testing purposes, downloading and installing the Framework, extending the Framework for our custom content types and custom theme, discuss a production server scenario and how to deploy the finished application complete with web accelerator, load balancer, multiple zeo clients all serving the object database from within one config file.

You will gain another tool for your geek toolbox from this talk. You should hopefully understand how to download, install and start using the framework out of the box. If you need to extend the framework, I will give pointers to the latest documentation for the modern development techniques that are covered in the talk.

Slides, Code and a Tutorial will be available after the talk for your own reference

Stay sane and remember, I like you cause you join in on my madness....

And as always...
  If you have been, thanks for reading

Stuart McCulloch Anderson
Chairman

The Software Society Limited
3 Ralston Business Centre,
Newtyle, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, PH12 8TL, SCOTLAND

Mobile: +44 (0) 7787 432 476

A Company Limited by Guarantee