[dundee] Smaller file size than expected

Kingsley G. Morse Jr. kingsley at loaner.com
Tue Oct 15 20:33:34 UTC 2013

Hi Malcom,

Congratulations on noticing the file size is
wrong.

I'm happy to report there's often another way to
check if you have the whole file.

Files like yours have something called an
"MD5sum".

It's just a number that (almost) uniquely
identifies the contents of any file.

You can check the MD5sum of your file.

If some of the file is missing, you'll get a
wrong MD5sum.

Detailed instructions for how to check MD5sums are
at

    http://pclinuxoshelp.com/index.php/Md5sum_checking

If it seems that some of the file is missing, you
can just try downloading it again.

This is a good option if you suspect your current
copy is not only short, but also contains
corrupted data.

However, the download may simply have stopped
prematurely.

If so, and you'd like to save time and bandwidth,
the program you used to download it with might be
able to tell where the previous download stopped,
and resume from there.

I hope that helps,
Kingsley

On 10/15/13 20:56, malcolm wrote:
> I downloaded an ISO of PCLinuxOS and the stated file size was 1.6Gb.
> However when I tried to burn it to a DVD a warning box said it was
> only 1.1Gb and advised caution.
>
> How do I check that I have the whole file or do I have to start
> again, bearing in mind I've a 20Gb total download per month and it
> took nearly a day to download.
>
> Robert will testify to my lack of technical knowledge so simple
> replies are better, however patronising they may sound.
>
> Thanks.

Time is the fire in which we all burn.