[dundee] Smaller file size than expected

Edmund Huggett droptablestaff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 17:59:12 UTC 2013

Hi,

This was meant to be a quick tip, however, its now a short tutorial!

I have had great success in the past using bittorent to repair not only
incomplete but also corrupted downloads (which you can't do with
curl/wget/http range requests). Curl/wget are quicker to start running and
more bandwidth efficient for incomplete downloads, but you can use the
following method if the file still does not match its checksum after doing
this!

This works best when you can find a torrent that only contains the file you
tried to download but you can obviously mark any extra files from the
torrent you are not interested in as do not download if you have to.

1. Find a torrent for the _exact same file_ you wish to repair,
http://burnbit.com/ can be very useful here as a last resort!
2. add the torrent to your bittorent client so that it creates the (empty)
files it will download the data into, but do not start the download (in
some clients you might need to start it downloading and then stop it a few
seconds later to force it to do this).
3. Make sure the file is not downloading and then copy and paste the
damaged file over the empty file you bittorent client created.
4. Tell your bittorent client to re-check/verify the data it has
downloaded, when you do this the download percentage should go anywhere
from zero up to 99% (this depends on how much data is missing or corrupted,
if it stays near zero something went wrong).
5. Start the torrent downloading and Wait, your bittorent client will now
download the missing/corrupted parts to repair the file and will skip over
the parts that verified successfully.

This method takes advantage of how bittorent works. You can get a better
understanding from wikipedia but essentially bittorent divides files up
into lots of smaller 'chunks' of data and a torrent file contains a list of
each chunk and a _checksum for each chunk_ which is used to verify that
each chunk has been downloaded correctly. Its not 100% efficient as any
corruption will cause the entire chunk to be discarded and downloaded again
but its still a better alternative to downloading a DVD image again (chunks
are normally a few megabytes or less).

Cheers

-Ed