[dundee] Building an Open Source 3D printer

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 1 20:30:31 UTC 2015

On 1 April 2015 at 11:49, Tom Paynter <tompaynter at tdpe.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Gordon,
>
> I have used the Due, the main reason I used it was because it has the
> native usb port so you can have a decent communication speed with a pc.
> Much the same to work with as the AVR based Arduinos, the 3.3v logic
> levels makes it a little easier to interface with a lot of other ICs for
> example SPI flash and ADCs.
>
> The Uno and the Mega2560 has an internal voltage of 5v rather than the
3.3v of the Due so I will have to check which will be the most pertinent
for the apparatus.

> I'm currently building a floppy drive for recovering 8inch floppys, I use
> the Due for that. Come along to the makerspace monday evening if you fancy
> having a go with it. I do most of my development on Fedora, the IDE in the
> repos does not support the Due but the binary on the Arduino website works
> fine.
>
> Why are you interested, have you got a project in mind?

I was contemplating having a go at making my own 3D printer, the Michigan
Tech one, as it has a proved and tested methodology/build. I am just doing
a feasibility study at the moment regarding an accurate material cost,
component availability and studying the methods used.

Thanks for the information.

www.zubenel.org.uk