[Nelug] Problem mounting removable media in Redhat 7.1

Gary J Park gary.park at cwcom.net
Sat Nov 23 19:34:02 UTC 2002

I'm having a problem with a computer with Redhat 7.1 installed upon it.
I needed to reinstall Redhat since there occurred an error with the
Linux partition (EXT2). Ever since it was reinstalled I haven't been
able to access CDs or floppy disks in their drives. When I try to mount
a floppy or CD (either in the CD-ROM or CD-RW) I get the following
error(s):

Could not mount device
The reported error was:
Mount: mount point /mnt/floppy (or CD or CD1)
Does not exist

If I go into Linuxconfig and try to mount them I get:

Executing /bin/mount -t auto -o exec,nodev, nosuid,rw /dev/fd0 (or
whatever it is for the CD drives)
*mount: mount point /mnt/floppy does not exist
*return 32

However, I can format a floppy (without then being able to access it)
and get the audio CD player to "play" the CD (although there is no
output) - it reads each track and seemingly goes through each track.

Any suggestions to a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Gary Park