[Nelug] Ubuntu upgrade?

Martin Ward Martin.Ward at durham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 15:44:08 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 19 Apr 2005 12:51 pm, James Le Cuirot wrote:
> It's definitely not possible. The only thing you can keep is your home
> folder so make a backup of that and copy it onto your new system
> afterwards. Don't forget the hidden files!! Any programs that you were
> using before should keep their settings. Everything else has to go.
> Different distributions work in wildly different ways, especially Ubuntu
> (which is Debian-based) and Mandrake (which is Red Hat-based).

If you have a reasonably large hard drive I recommend setting up three
partitions (plus a swap partition): two root partitions of, say 3 to 4Gb
and the rest of the space in a /home partition (which could also
hold /usr/local via a symlink). Then you can have a working root
partition and a scratch root partition for playing with new distributions,
without having to back up and restore /home. When you are happy
with the new installation, just swap the roles of working root and new root
(which just means changing the default boot partition in grub/lilo).

--
			Martin

Martin.Ward at durham.ac.uk http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/ Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/