[Nelug] Speedtouch USB modem

Richard Patterson nelug-admin at nelug.org.uk
Tue May 17 10:01:15 UTC 2005

Richard Patterson wrote:

>Martin Ward wrote:
>

>>On Monday 16 May 2005 18:33, James Le Cuirot wrote:
>>

>>>I got one of these working on my Gentoo machine at the weekend, as it
>>>happens. It looks like you're using devfs though, whereas I'm using the
>>>newer udev. I would suspect that Mandrake 10 has the stuff it needs
>>>enabled in the kernel so I'm not sure what it would be. I'm not 100%
>>>sure if I'll come tomorrow, might do...
>>>

>>I am happy to consider different mechanisms for driving the modem,
>>up to and including installing a different distribution.
>>
>>I have considered getting an adsl router instead, but surely
>>the combined forces of NELUG are up to cracking this problem?? :-)
>>

>I got the SpeedTouch 300 working in Gentoo without a problem... I don't
>have an original speedtouch.
>
>I'll install Mandrake 10.1 on a spare PC here, see if i can get the
>ST300 working, it'll be the same process... Give me an hour or so.
>
>Regards
>
>Richard

Ok, got Mandrake 10.1 installed... Can't disconnect my ADSL from the
router at the mo, but everything else looks ok... If you're coming
tonight, you could bring the laptop & modem, we'll have a look at it then.

I think modem_run no longer stays in memory due to the driver in the
kernel...

Have you tried one of the dedicated firewall distros? IPCop, Smoothwall,
etc.