[Nelug] Dougie's Junk Box (swaps and give-aways)

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 22:12:25 UTC 2005

Richard Patterson wrote:

> Dougie Nisbet wrote:
>
>> Sony Vaio PCG F160
>> -----------------------
>> Two options.
>> 1. I'll pay someone a fixed price if they can fix it. (Richard, did
>> you say you did this sort of thing? £50 if you can fix it?)
>> 2. Free to a good home.
>

> Hmmm... after looking at the instructions you have linked to there...
> nope, i don't think i'd offer a no fix, no fee on that one... and if i
> were to accept it as "free to a good home"

So are you are aren't you :-)? You're welcome to it for spares. I
honestly doubt whether it's repairable. I reckon I was fairly close (the
surface mounted capacitor thing) but then touched something I shouldn't
have, and the mobo is a goner. Seems a shame, but far better in bits in
your workshop than in a carboard box in my loft.

> They sound quite interesting, but i probably wouldn't get around to
> putting them up anywhere... except maybe in the loft... might be
> hackable to switch off the courtesy light, and dusk-dawn sensor, and
> just have them come on with the PIR... would be great in the loft.
> (i'll give it some thought)

It's a twin bulb unit, so to disable the dawn-till-dusk ('courtesy')
light, you'd just unscrew the bottom bulb. Then you're left with a
conventional PIR detector triggered light. If you want to do that I'll
hang on to the unwanted bulbs as spares. (they're a screw fit).

>> CPU fans/heatsinks
>> --------------------
>> 2 X Coolermaster DP5-5G51
>> 1 X DP2-5G52 - labelled as 'Slot A Athlon to 850Mhz'
>

> No thanks...

Damn! Thought you'd bound to want them ...

>> Linux
>> ------
>> From the May 2004 issue of Linux Format, Mandrake 10 Community
>> Edition. Full Distro. 3CDs
>> From the Oct 2003 issue of Linux Magazine Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 DVD
>> (plus Knoppix)
>> From the Nov 2003 issue of Linux Magazine SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional
>> DVD
>

> Oh my god!, no... no... no more magazines please! (I still have a huge
> pile to go through)

I thought of them for the null. But when I looked at the labels and saw
they were over a year old they're probably better in the bin.

> So, i might be convinced to take the laptop and lights off your
> hands... ;-)

Sure, no problem. Let me know for sure before tuesday so I know whether
to bring them along.

Dougie