[Nelug] Talks at meetings

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 16:41:44 UTC 2007

Hi Ian,

Your post raises some very interesting points.

First of all, I've never really bought into this
beginner/intermediate/advanced thing. Linux, and importantly, all the
applications that can run on it, is such a big field that I think that
there are niches all over the place where a person may have expertise in
one field, but be hopeless in other areas.

For example, I am now firmly in the 'end user' camp. I am an arborist in
training (http://houghall.fotopic.net) and my days are more likely to
involve sitting in front of a chainsaw than sitting in front of a
computer. I have linux on a couple of aging machines at home but
nowadays I have very little interest now in what goes on under the hood,
and tend to be interested in playing music and tinkering with photos. My
current diversion is looking at image viewers that allow manipulation of
exif fields and ways of tagging images that allow me to chuck my photos
around from an XP box to a linux box, and still be able to get
meaningful stuff out. I'm interested in taxonomy, the botanical naming
of plants, and I would like to find a way of tagging my images using the
heirarchical method that is used in botany. The browser in Photoshop
does this very nicely, but unfortunately it's Microsoft only, and also,
and it's a minor point, it's a bag of shite. So currently when I have
time I've been playing around with xnview, which runs both on Microsoft
windows and Linux, and it's possible I know a lot more about this niche
than many knowledgeable people in the group. But the list of stuff I
don't know is very long. I know nothing about Suse, Ubuntu, webby stuff,
and quite a lot of chatter that comes up at the meetings nowadays goes
over my head. But it's rarely important as the bar is just a few yards away.

But I digress... If someone was doing a talk I'd probably attend. Even
if it was of no relevance to me and I didn't understand a lot of it, I'd
be sure I'd pick up some useful nuggets of information.

One thing that did come up is the idea of encouraging people to bring
along 'broken' kit. This is where I guess we need a bit of space, some
power and a monitor, if someone is bringing a desktop. But the idea of
someone bringing along their 'I can't get my wireless to work' box would
be very interesting. I don't use wireless, but one day I'm sure I'll get
around to it, and seeing the issues and problems involved first-hand can
be very useful.

Dougie