[Durham] October meeting: anyone know anything about VPN?

Richard Patterson richard at helpquick.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 16:08:52 UTC 2009

Hopefully from your post, people will realise that the meeting is indeed
tomorrow evening...

I have done a bit with VPN, and use OpenVPN every day now...

I'm ok for the memory to go to a good home...

Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> At last month's (September) meeting someone, and I apologise for
> forgetting your name, (Ian?) was telling me about using VPN to access
> his home network. I've always steered clear of VPN because:
>
>     - I have no idea what it is
>     - I have no idea how it works
>     - I can't see what use it is to me
>     - it involves security and stuff
>
> With the advances in mobile internet and broadband dongles and what have
> you I think I may try and find out a bit more. I'm motivated by having a
> couple of webcams at home that I'd like to keep an eye on. In the past
> I've written some unruly scripts for album
> (http://marginalhacks.com/Hacks/album/) and uploaded bits to some
> webpages. Why bother if I can just phone home? Like I say, I've always
> run away in the past as I think I'd need to change some settings on my
> router to allow certain incoming traffic. It should be apparent that I
> only have the vaguest idea of what I'm talking about here, but if anyone
> fancies giving me a piece of their mind on the subject tomorrow night I
> shall be all ears and beerfully grateful. If there's anything I could
> install (Ubuntu 9.04) on my laptop let me know and I'll do it before the
> meeting. Or to change on my router, an elderly Zyxel Prestige.
>
> Talking of which; Richard - I upgraded the memory in the laptop to 2GB
> and took out the original 512MB piece that was in there. It's no use to
> me. I'll bring it along tomorrow in case it's any use to you, otherwise
> free to anyone else who wants it. (from a Tosh Equium A80-132).
>
> cheers
>
> Dougie

*Richard Patterson*
Mobile:0792 151 2459

HelpQuick Ltd
The headquarters of
innovative IT solutions

Office: 0191 2582888, Fax: 0191 6408666
Web: http://www.helpquick.co.uk

Have you used our services? Why not write a review on the FreeIndex
<http://www.freeindex.co.uk/wr.htm?id=144533&br=1>, and / or TheBestOf
<http://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/north-shields/business-guide/feature/helpquick-ltd/58070/review#write>
Websites

HelpQuick Limited, Registered in England & Wales, Company number
5334746, Vat registration number: 859 6133 89, Registered office: 18
Camden Square, North Shields, NE30 1NR, UK