[Durham] Removing LVM

Richard Patterson Richard at helpquick.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 06:09:54 UTC 2012

I have been given a 1tb drive that was formerly part of an LVM system.  I would like to flatten it and format it as ext4.....its driving me nuts!  using fdisk -l it only shows as

Disk /dev/sdb: 33 MB, 33348608 bytes
14 heads, 55 sectors/track, 84 cylinders, total 65134 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xdd6f3073
/dev/sdb1            2048       65133       31543   83  Linux

Woo Hoo! A 32MB Hard Drive - I haven't seen one of those for a few years ;-)

Check what the output of dmesg is, look for the sdb entry, make sure it's being detected correctly.

If you're sure it's sdb, then a quick dd should blank it:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=30

You'll then be able to partition it how you want.

I have seen stories of fake hard drives, that only contained a 32Mb flash disk, the firmware was hacked to make it appear as a larger drive...