[Durham] Durham Digest, Vol 352, Issue 6

Oliver Burnett-Hall olly at burnett-hall.co.uk
Sun Dec 6 11:58:11 UTC 2015

On 06/12/15 01:33, David Parfitt wrote:
> I've just managed to try out Knoppix 7.6, which has the 4.2.2 kernel,
> and lo & behold! Sound works fine out of the box. So, it seems that
> I'll have to stick with the external sound card & Debian, or research
> & adopt a new distro w/ a much newer kernel.

It might not be the different kernel version in Knoppix that's solved
the problem -- it could also be that the Knoppix disc included a
different module than Debian and Arch, or included firmware that your
soundcard needs.

I strongly suspect it's the latter, missing firmware. On Debian try
installing package firmware-misc-nonfree (available in
jessie-backports); the description for that package mentions firmware
for Intel Skylake hardware (see
https://packages.debian.org/en/jessie-backports/firmware-misc-nonfree).

Let me know if you have any luck with this.

- olly