[Exeter] Manchester - Madlab, UCubed, etc.

Gordon Henderson gordon+lug at drogon.net
Mon Apr 30 10:02:15 UTC 2012

Just a quick posting about what I got up to on Saturday - I visited the
ucubed un-conference in Manchester at a place called Madlab. It's a rather
interesting place with lots of space, demo areas, lecture/talk space, a
workshop, library and so on.

UCubed is (was): http://ucubed.info/
Madlab is: http://madlab.org.uk/

Some photos of the event: (not mine, but spot me ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1687774@N22/
https://plus.google.com/photos/102569475330772729673/albums/5736561443578718225?authkey=CMnsu7rrxci2DQ

I think it would be good to have something like this in the South West at
some point - although the issues we face is that of geographic size!
However Exeter is easy to get to (relatively speaking) so why not...

Does anyone here go to the hackspace in Exeter at all? I went last year a
couple of times, but wasn't impressed - wondering if it's worth while
going along again to see what they're up to now, however in the absence
of that, then ....

I probably was the furthest travelled to that event in Manchester but there
were a good bunch of folks from Blackpool and surrounds, so if we could
get something going we might well attract people from much further
afield... Certainly something to think about for the (hopefully not too
distant) future?

Oh, and I was put on the spot too - walking back to the station with Alan
O'Donohoe (http://about.me/alanodonohoe) I was pretty shattered at that
point, but he asked me for a audio boo blog thing on IRC - laugh at me
here:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/776548-drogon-explains-what-internet-relay-chat-is-irc-post-ucubed

Cheers,

Gordon