[Exeter] Looking for old hardware

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 12:24:47 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Rick Timmis has been in contact with a pre-school in Exwick who are
looking to setup a computer suite similar to the Internet Cafe at the
Exwick Community Centre.

They're looking for about 6 PCs for the kids to use (the details are a
bit sketchy at the moment but I'd guess they're wanting something the
kids can play educational games, access educational web sites etc on).

I've already put a request out on Freecycle and Freegle in Torbay and
Teignbridge and on Facebook to see if anyone has any machines or bits
they can donate and I wondered if anyone might possibly have any old
computers or bits kicking around that they want to get rid of?

I understand the idea is to install another LTSP server.  I figure if
the kids are using something like Tuxpaint then it's also probably a
good idea to have a printer or two (maybe a couple of old Epson or HP
inkjets since the compatible ink cartridges are fairly cheap to get hold
of).

If anyone has any old printers, networking kit (a gigabit switch would
be ideal, or a 100Mbit switch with a gigabit uplink)... I know it's a
big ask... then they'd be most grateful.

I can collect to a point (I'm in Torquay and don't mind picking stuff up
from around Torbay, although I'm not working at the moment and funds are
limited so if possible maybe arrangements could be made for stuff to be
picked up and dropped off at LUG meets?).

Anyway... if anyone can help then they would be great and I'm sure it
would be a great way of getting the kids interested in things like
Tuxpaint etc from an early age :-) (and maybe it would be a good
showcase for parents who have PCs bogged down with Vista and XP!)

Rob