[Exeter] Raspberry Pi in SPACE !

Gordon Henderson gordon+lug at drogon.net
Fri Sep 21 13:19:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Rick Timmis wrote:

> Ah ha, yes I did see that after I sent out the email
>
> Of course we (that's the Royal We) Exeter LUG haven't done it, and also
> that project was Pi in the Sky. I'm wondering about Pi in SPACE !!
>
> Anyway it could be Fun

I have a friend who's a prof. at Exeter uny - I think he's done stuff like
send Arduinos into space - reckons it's all to do with getting the right
baloon... 100,000' is achievable..

Then if you want "real space" there's the cubesat project, but that does
cost a little bit more...

There is a high altitude hobby group in the UK too - their site is well
worth a read: http://ukhas.org.uk/

The real isue with a Pi is weight - not of the Pi, but of the batteries to
power it - an Aruino sucks a 1000th the power of a Pi, so the Pi really
does need good batteries... and for a 4-5 hour flight, AA's don't cut it.

However it's probably quite light compared to the camera, etc.

Gordon