[ExeterLUG] pi cluster image errors

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Tue Dec 10 12:55:25 UTC 2013

On 10/12/13 12:42, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just tried to create the sd card image for friday
>
> using
>
> psutton at e-machines:~/Documents/raspberrypi/picluster$ sudo dd bs=1M
> if=arch-rpi-cluster-2013-11-29.img of=/dev/sdb
> 1691+1 records in
> 1691+1 records out
> 1773158400 bytes (1.8 GB) copied, 349.336 s, 5.1 MB/s
> psutton at e-machines:~/Documents/raspberrypi/picluster$ ls /dev/sdb
> /dev/sdb
> psutton at e-machines:~/Documents/raspberrypi/picluster$
>
> this seems to go fine, when i then try and mount the devicer in PCManFM
>
> i get the following
>
> Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/psutton/3163-3434: Command-line
> `mount -t "vfat" -o
> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush"
> "/dev/sdb1" "/media/psutton/3163-3434"' exited with non-zero exit status
> 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so
>

> doing dmesg | tail or so, comes up with
>
> tail: cannot open ‘or’ for reading: No such file or directory
> tail: cannot open ‘so’ for reading: No such file or directory
>
> can someone advise please I don't have time to fiddle with thisd until
> tomorrow due to work, rugby training etc, so hopefully someone can advise
>
> if not can we create the sd card image on friday please, someone needs
> to bring a computer with sd card writer.
>
> Paul

Ok further to this,  removing the card. and reinserting it, so it mounts
again seems to mount it fine,  giving me 2 partitions /boot and /arch
and files within.

Which brings me to the question why was it having issues in the first place

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Exeter Lug meet : 13th December 2013 - http://exeter.lug.org.uk/
Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam 14th December 2013 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.