[ExeterLUG] A New Home for 2014

Rick.Timmis Rick.Timmis at Abazander.com
Wed Dec 18 11:01:07 UTC 2013

Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug at drogon.net> wrote:On Tue, 17 Dec 2013, Rick Timmis wrote:

> Dear Everyone
>
> Well its just goes to show that what goes around comes around.
>
> I had the opportunity to speak with Harri Sharp, the Lady that runs the
> Exwick Ark School. They're very pleased with the way things have gone so
> far, and they like their Linux Mint computers very much.
>
> I discussed the upstairs area at the Exwick School with Her and explained
> that the room with the Benches would be a perfect place for the ExeterLUG
> HQ.
>
> She was delighted with this idea, and explained that we are most welcome
> to use the upstairs of that building for our meetings, and that this would
> be a free facility at least for the first year. I would hope that by
> taking
> care of their IT requirements, would should never have to pay for the
> building.
>
> This also means that within reason we have space to work on projects and
> develop things in a more permanent manner.
>
> My suggestion there for, is that we move our January meeting to the Exwick
> Ark School building, so that we can discuss how we would like to get
> things
> set up.
>
> Your thoughts ?

In principle this sounds like a plan.

But The Arc is a school and this may have potential impact on access,
(child protection issues, but we're out of hours, so ok?) but if that can
be resolved (as well as the actual access - caretaker, alarm, etc.?) then
it's fine by me. Might even be able to have a mini-hackspace too?

Gordon

Fortunately, in addition to being out of hours the building is separate from the school, and has already been assigned as a public area.
A hackspace is my hope too.

Rick